Monday, December 22, 2008

Elder Goode's Favorite Poems

God, Speak to Me!

The man whispered,
"God, speak to me."
And a meadowlark sang.
But the man did not hear.

So the man yelled
"God, speak to me!"
And the thunder & lightning
rolled across the sky.
But the man did not listen.


The man looked around and said,
"God, let me see you."
And a star shined brightly.
But the man did not see.


And, the man shouted,
"God, show me a miracle."
And a life was born.
But the man did not notice.


So, the man cried out in despair,
"Touch me, God,
and let me know you are here."
Whereupon, God reached down
and touched the man.


But the man brushed

the butterfly away

and walked on.



The Zode



Did I ever tell you
about the young Zode
Who came to two signs
at the fork of a road?

One said: To Place One,
and the other: Place Two.
So the Zode had to make up
his mind what to do.

Well . . . the Zode
scratched his head.
And his chin.
And his pants.

And he said to himself,
“I’ll be taking a chance
If I go to Place One.
Now, that place may be hot!

And, so how do I know
if I’ll like it or not?
On the other hand, though,
I’ll be sort of a fool

If I go to Place Two
and I find it too cool.
In that case I may catch
a chill and turn blue!

So, maybe, Place One
is the best, not Place Two.
On the other hand, though,
if Place One is too high.

I may catch a terrible
earache and die!
So Place Two may be best!
On the other hand, though. . . . .

What might happen to me
if Place Two is too low?
I might get some very
strange pain in my toe!

Then he stopped, and he said,
“On the OTHER hand, though. . .
On the other hand, other hand . . . . .
other hand though!

And for thirty six hours
and one half, that poor Zode
Made starts and stops
at that fork in the road.

Saying, “Don’t take a chance.
You may not be right.”
Then he got an idea
that was wonderfully bright!

“Play safe!” cried the Zode.
“I’ll play safe! I’m no dunce!
I’ll simply start off
for both places at once!”

And that’s how the Zode,
who would not take a chance,
Got to No place at All,
with a split in his pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment